To renew your California driver’s license online, you need to do as follows:
- Go to the website of the California Department of Motor Vehicles, by entering its address into your browser. The said address (for the California Department of Motor Vehicles portal) can be found below, within the ‘links’ section. When you enter that address, your browser will immediately transfer you to the California Department of Motor vehicles portal.
- Once you get to the said California Department of Motor Vehicles portal, check at the top of the landing page and you will see a menu. The menu has items like ‘Vehicle Registration’, ‘Driver License & ID Cards’, ‘Vehicle Industry Services’, ‘Driver Education & Safety’ , ‘Forms’ and ‘Locations’. From that menu, click on the ‘Driver License and ID Cards’ link. Then from the further options that appear when you do so, click on the ‘Driver License or ID Card Renewal’ link.
- On the screen that you are taken, scroll down a bit, then click on the ‘Renew Your Driver License’ link (if it is an ordinary driving license you wish to renew). Otherwise click on the ‘Renew your commercial driver license link (if it is a commercial driving license you wish to renew).
- When you click on the ‘Renew Your Driver License’ link, more details about the renewal process will appear below. Read those details, then click on the ‘Renew Your DL Online’ button that you will find at some point.
- On the screen that you are subsequently taken to (after having clicked on the ‘Renew Your DL Online’ button), read the information in the ‘Before You Begin’ section. That includes information on the eligibility criteria and on the fact that you need to have an account on the California DMV portal to complete the renewal online. That is also where you get the fact that you will need to pay a driving license renewal fee in the process. Just read the information on the page. Then once you are sure that you have everything at hand, click on the ‘Start Driver License Renewal’ button that is on the left hand side.
- Once you click on the ‘Start Driver License Renewal’ button, you will be taken to a page where you are supposed to sign in, before proceeding. As required within that section, enter your email address into the space provided for it. That has to be the email address with which you signed up for an account on the California DMV website. So just enter the email address into the field provided for it, then enter your password into the other space. If you hadn’t registered on the portal before, check below the ‘Login’ button and you will see somewhere you are asked ‘Not Registered…?’ Click on the ‘Register an Account’ link that is within that section. Then provide the required details to get a California DMV online account. Once the account is set up, you can sign in by entering the email address and the password you will have created.
- After signing into the California DMV portal, provide the required details [and pay the required fees], in order to complete the driver’s license renewal process.
California Department of Motor Vehicles portal: