To apply for California unemployment benefits online, you need to do as follows:
- Go to the website of the California Employment Development Department (EDD), by entering its address into your browser. That address, which you can use to access the website of the California Employment Development Department is indicated at the bottom end of this article, within the ‘links’ section. When you enter that address, your browser will immediately transfer you to the said website of the California Employment Development Department (EDD).
- Once you get to the California EDD website’s homepage, check at the top and you will find a menu with items like ‘Jobs’, ‘Claims’, ‘Employers’, ‘Newsroom’ and ‘Search’. From that menu, click on the ‘Claims’ link.
- On the screen that you are taken to (after having clicked on the ‘Claims’ link), scroll down a bit, until you get to the ‘Unemployment Insurance’ section. It is directly opposite the ‘Disability Insurance’ section. Then click on the ‘File for Unemployment – Overview’ link you will find within that section.
- On the next screen, click on the ‘Register and Apply’ link [which is under the ‘Take the Necessary Steps’ section]. Just click on the ‘Register and Apply’ link there. Then from the links that appear when you do so, click on ‘File a Claim’.
- On the page that you are subsequently taken to, scroll down until you get to the section on ‘How to File a Claim’. Then click on the ‘Online’ link within that section. After you click on the ‘Online’ link, a ‘UI Online’ link will appear instantly. Click on it.
- On the next screen [which you will be taken to after clicking on the ‘UI Online’ link], click on the ‘Benefits Program Online’ button.
- On the page that you will thereafter be taken to, click on the ‘Log In or Register’ button. Then on the next screen, sign into your California EDD portal account. That you do by first entering your email address, clicking on the ‘I am not a robot’ checkbox and completing whichever captcha challenge you will be given. Then you click on the ‘Login’ button, in order to be taken to a page where you can enter your password, in order to be signed in. (If you don’t have an account on the California EDD portal, you will need to create it first, before proceeding with the application. So you first click on the ‘Register Now’ link that you will find somewhere just under the ‘Log In’ button. Then go through the motions of registering for an account on the California EDD portal. Once you have the account, sign in by entering your email address and the password you will have created in the course of the registration process).
- After logging in, click to indicate that you wish to file a claim. Then enter the required details, to complete the California unemployment benefits application. After submitting the California unemployment insurance benefits claim, await for the application to be processed. If it is successful, you should eventually start getting the California unemployment benefits after a short while.
California Employment Development Department (EDD) portal: